Saturday, September 24, 2011

Calling Dr. Stone

So as many of you know, my mom suffered a stroke a few months back.  She has been progressing well, however she is still in a rehab hospital.  Thankfully the stroke did not affect her mental acuity... or her sense of humor.  What follows is a true account of the events of this evening.

Lisa and I are visiting mom, catching up and generally shooting the breeze when her nurse comes in to check on her.  Mom inquires if the nurse has heard back from the Dr. She had requested an Imodium (anti-diarrhea) earlier this evening.  The nurse said that he had left a message with the service but had not gotten a response.  He added that they needed a Dr's okay to even give the patient a cough drop.  With that, mom proceeds to ask the nurse to take down a number that she says is one of her doctors direct numbers, which he does. At this point, I can already see where this is going. Mom then proceeds to give the nurse her in-room number.  The nurse leaves and not a minute later mom's phone rings.  Mom and Lisa are stifling laughter as I pick up the phone "This is Dr. Stone" (Stone being the last brand of beer that I have had. Anyway, I digress...) the nurse tells me how he called and left a message with the service earlier and had not gotten an answer. I apologize and tell him that I see a notation.  The nurse then asks me if Felicia can have an Imodium as she is having bowel issues.  I tell the nurse that one tablet PRN (by mouth) will be fine.  He asks me for my name and I tell him "Dr. George Stone"  He thanks me and we hang up.

Five minutes later, he comes into the room and tells mom that he called the Dr.  Mom says "oh Dr. Stone?" to which the nurse says "yes, he apologized about not getting back to me sooner but one Imodium per day would not be a problem. Here you go.

Mom will not be running to the bathroom tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment